October’s book selection is the classic The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering, by Frederick P. Brooks. Originally written in 1975, it was republished with four additional chapters in 1995.
Few books on software project management have been as influential and timeless as The Mythical Man-Month. With a blend of software engineering facts and thought-provoking opinions, Fred Brooks offers insight for anyone managing complex projects. These essays draw from his experience as project manager for the IBM System/360 computer family and then for OS/360, its massive software system. Now, 20 years after the initial publication of his book, Brooks has revisited his original ideas and added new thoughts and advice, both for readers already familiar with his work and for readers discovering it for the first time.
Where to find a copy of this title:
- The publisher has the ebook for $28, paperback for $35
- Austin Public Library has a few copies
- Half.com has several copies for $15 or less (but hurry, Half.com is shutting down :'( on August 31)
- Amazon has the ebook for $20, paperback for $29
- O’Reilly’s Safari online book service has the ebook
- The Internet Archive has the original 1975 version for free in several digital formats
The meetup will be on Tuesday, October 24 at 6:30PM at our usual location: the ActiveProspect office, 4203 Guadalupe in Hyde Park.
Be sure to RSVP so we’ll have plenty of snacks and drinks for everyone.
See you there!